Take a peek at what’s happening on the ground in 2013
PRE-FESTIVAL EVENTS: July 27-August 1
- CLAY Poker Tournament Fundraiser
- Adobe & Stone Preservation Workshops with the Silver City Museum
- Mimbres Sites, Gila Cliff Dwellings, Syzygy Tile Factory, Mining and Labyrinth Tours
- Ceramic workshops, including Mata Ortiz and Tile-Making
- Build an Adobe Labyrinth at the Waterworks Building
- Natural Finishes Workshop, Using Local Clays
- Opening Night Gala and Exhibition: A Tile & A Vessel
FESTIVAL EVENTS: August 2-4
- Lectures about Archaeology, Pueblo Cultures, Ceramics, Natural Building and More
- Panel Discussion by Noted Southwest Archaeologists at Western New Mexico University
- Various Clay-centric ½ Day Workshops
- Free Yoga Sessions: Stay Grounded with Yoga
- Free films featuring Mata Ortiz, Cal-Earth and More
- Silver City MainStreet First Friday Dance
- Three Juried Exhibitions (see below)
- Activities for Children: CLAYground, Free Claymation Films, Re-Create History in Clay and More
- Silver City Farmer’s Market Mud Pie Contest
- Artist Awards Brunch at Bear Mountain Lodge
The 2013 Silver City CLAY Festival will host three juried exhibitions!
2013 JURIED EXHIBITIONS
A Tile & A Vessel will exhibit unique pairings of ceramic tiles & vessels from artists throughout North America. Juried by Christy Johnson of the American Museum of Ceramic Art and curated by Marcela Shepard, the exhibition will be open to the public August 2nd through the 4th.
Attend the exhibition opening at the CLAY Gala on Thursday, August 1st from 6 to 9 pm at the historic Carter House in Silver City. During the CLAY Gala, peruse the exhibition and take part in the Tile Heritage Foundation Silent Auction. Enjoy hors d‘oeuvres and specialty drinks from the Little Toad Creek Distillery in handcrafted ceramic tumblers by local artist Claude Smith III. Dress: Casual Elegance. Register for tickets.
Public PrōJECT recognizes artists and their large-scale clay and mosaic public installations. Juried by nationally recognized Silver City artists Claude Smith III, Marcia Smith, and Kathryn Allen, this exhibition seeks to draw attention to the public art that surrounds us. Outstanding international clay and mosaic installation projects will be exhibited as digital projections in a festive outdoor venue.
The Public PrōJECT Outdoor Digital Exhibition will take place at 9 pm on the evening of Saturday, August 3rd, with pieces being projected outdoors on Bullard Street in historic downtown Silver City. Be sure to save the date for this unique outdoor event.
Neo-Mimbreño 2013 Vessels: Two Museums, One Exhibit will focus on vessels in a Neo-Mimbreño context with pieces being displayed at both the Western New Mexico University Museum and the Silver City Museum. Juried by Dr. Stephanie Whittlesey and curated by Silver City artists Beth Menzcer and Diana Ingalls Leyba, each exhibition piece spanning various media will depict a vessel, inspired by the prehistoric Mimbreño culture of the Southwest. The exhibition will be open to the public August 3rd through August 30th.
Come and attend the progressive exhibition opening on the afternoon of Saturday, August 3rd. The opening will begin at 3:00 pm at the WNMU museum with award announcements at 4:15 pm. Soon after, the Silver City Museum will conduct its opening, beginning at 4:30 pm. Note: award winning pieces may be located at one or both museums.
More About CLAY…