Get Back Down to Earth at the 2013
SILVER CITY CLAY FESTIVAL
A Silver City Arts & Cultural District Signature Event
Take a peek at what’s happening on the ground in 2013
PRE-FESTIVAL EVENTS: July 27-August 1
- CLAY Poker Tournament Fundraiser
- Adobe & Stone Preservation Workshops with the Silver City Museum
- Mimbres Sites, Gila Cliff Dwellings, Syzygy Tile Factory, Mining and Labyrinth Tours
- Ceramic workshops, including Mata Ortiz and Tile-Making
- Build an Adobe Labyrinth at the Waterworks Building
- Natural Finishes Workshop, Using Local Clays
- Opening Night Gala and Exhibition: A Tile & A Vessel
FESTIVAL EVENTS: August 2-4
- Lectures about Archaeology, Pueblo Cultures, Ceramics, Natural Building and More
- Panel Discussion by Noted Southwest Archaeologists at Western New Mexico University
- Various Clay-centric ½ Day Workshops
- Free Yoga Sessions: Stay Grounded with Yoga
- Free films featuring Mata Ortiz, Cal-Earth and More
- Silver City MainStreet First Friday Dance
- Three Juried Exhibitions (see below)
- Activities for Children: CLAYground, Free Claymation Films, Re-Create History in Clay and More
- Silver City Farmer’s Market Mud Pie Contest
- Artist Awards Brunch at Bear Mountain Lodge
The 2013 Silver City CLAY Festival will host three juried exhibitions!
2013 JURIED EXHIBITIONS
A Tile & A Vessel will focus on a unique pairing: a tile and a vessel. The dynamic between these two clay pieces is intriguing. They must relate, play off of each other, and be unified in some element of design.
ARTISTS! Deadline for Entry: April 30, 2013
Public PrōJECT recognizes artists and their large-scale clay/mosaic public installations. Outstanding international clay and mosaic installation projects will be exhibited as digital projections in festive outdoor venues.
ARTISTS! Deadline for Entry: May 15, 2013
Neo-Mimbreño 2013 Vessels will focus on vessels in a Neo-Mimbreño context. Artists will depict a vessel, inspired by the prehistoric Mimbreño culture of the Southwest.
ARTISTS! Deadline for Entry: June 3, 2013
More About CLAY…